¿Are you thinking in studying abroad, but you will also like to find a professional job and gain some international work experience in your field of study after you finish your academic program?

There are several countries that give international students the possibility of staying for some time after finishing their program of study, in order to search for a professional job.

Be aware that the conditions to work after finishing an academic program are different in every country. Therefore, it is important for you to have clear information of what you can expect in each country of your interest. Along with it, as legislations change constantly, you should always verify if you have updated information.

In this article you will find the information of eight countries:

·         Canada

·         Germany

·         The Netherlands

·         Australia

·         France

·         New Zealand

·         United States

·         United Kingdom

Canada: If you are thinking in studying in Canada, you must know that once you finish your academic program in a Canadian higher education institution, you will have the option of applying for a work permit. You will be able to request this authorization as long as you have been a full time student and have finished successfully an academic program of more than 8 months in Canada. The duration of this work permit will depend on the length of your academic program. If your program lasted between 8 months and two years, your work permit will have the same length as your academic program. But, if your course had a duration of more than two years, your permit will be given for up to three years. You should keep in mind that you will be able to apply for the work permit within the first 90 days of having completed all the academic requirements of your program.

More information here

Germany: If your main interest is studying in Germany, you will be happy to hear that this country allows international students that pursue an academic program in a German higher education institution, to stay in Germany searching for a professional job for up to 18 months. During that time, you will not have any working hour restrictions and you will be able to work as long as you want to. But please keep in mind that in order to find a permanent job in Germany, it will be a plus if you have a good knowledge of German so you can get on in the German labor market.

More information here

The Netherlands: This country gives international students that have pursued an undergraduate or a masters’ program in a Dutch higher education institution, the possibility of applying to an 'Orientation Year for Graduates Seeking Employment'  during which the student will be able to stay in The Netherlands for up to 12 months to look for a professional job. Please keep in mind that you will be able to submit your application to this orientation year once the institution where you studied confirms that you have approved all the academic requirements to complete your program.

More information here

Australia: In Australia, international students that have finished an undergraduate, masters’ or doctorate program can be eligible to apply, as soon as they finish their studies, for a work visa. This visa will have duration of up to two years for students that pursued an undergraduate or a masters’ in Australia, and of 3 to 4 years for those that did a doctorate. You should be aware that, in order to apply for this visa, the course that you study in Australia has to have a duration of more than 16 months. You must also keep in mind that you can apply for this visa while in Australia within the first six months of having finished your academic program.

More information here

France: International students that undertake a postgraduate in France have the right to apply for a temporal residency authorization given by the French Government for up to six months, since the expiration date of the student residence permit. This authorization will allow you to work for up to 60% of the total number of official working weeks in France. In order to work full time in France after finishing your studies, you will have to find a job related to your field of study and your salary should be at least equivalent to the 1.5 French minimum wage.

More information here


New Zealand: As soon as you finish your academic program in New Zealand, you will have the option to request a visa of up to 12 months, to search for a job in the country. If during this time you find a professional job in your field of study, you will be able to apply for the “Study to Work” visa that will permit you to work in New Zealand for up to three years. You can apply for the temporal visa within three months after the expiration of your student visa, and you will have to show you have at least NZ$4,200 for maintenance funds.

More information here


United States: The Optional Practice Training (OPT) scheme offers you the chance of staying in the United States for up to 12 months after finishing in that country a full time program of a minimum length of 12 months. You will be able to ask for this request within the first 60 days of the termination of your program in the USA. A good news is that those students that pursue an undergraduate, masters’ or doctorate program in the United States in one of the STEM areas (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), can ask for an extension of the OPT for 17 months as long as they have a job related to those areas.

More information here


United Kingdom: Since the year 2012, international students that study an academic program of at least 12 months in a higher education institution in the United Kingdom, will have the possibility to stay working in the country only if the receive a professional job offer given by a company that has a Sponsor Certificate, and must receive a salary of no less than £20,300 per year. Those students that finish a doctorate program in the UK, can stay in the country for up to 12 months searching for a job.

 More information here